Incomplete Grades

Instructors may submit an “I” (Incomplete) grade for any course to indicate that some part of your work has not been finished. If you have an “I” posted for a course, you must make up the work by the date established by the instructor (in consultation with the student) and in accordance with University and College grading policy

All “I” grades must be assigned a letter grade within one calendar year or before the last day of your graduation term, whichever comes first. (One calendar year is calculated from the original grade due date from the semester in which the class was initially taken.)  If an instructor fails to enter a new grade within this time frame, the “I” will convert to an “F” (or to the lapse grade assigned by the course instructor). 

As you are preparing to graduate, you should make every effort to have all “I” grades resolved prior to completing degree requirements to ensure that these do not convert to an "F" grade. This is especially important if you have a GPA close to 3.0 for whom an "F" grade may jeopardize your good academic standing and thereby you receipt of the degree. 

The College does not allow you to take the oral comprehensive exam for a PhD if a "WG" (Waiting Grade) or "I" (Incomplete) grade is listed on your transcript. You may be permitted to take the final examination or go forward with a thesis or dissertation defense; however, a final grade must be entered by the semester grade deadline for you to be approved for graduation.