Leaving Your Program

Voluntary Discontinue

You may voluntarily resign, or "voluntary discontinue," from his or her program of study at any time. By voluntarily discontinuing, you resign your place in the program and must reapply for admission if he or she chooses to return to the program at a later date. Readmission after a voluntary discontinuation is subject to all departmental and University procedures and policies in place at the time of reapplication.

If you voluntary discontinue must also withdraw from all active enrollment via the withdrawal form and are subject to all Registrar deadlines and fees associated with withdrawal. In case you wish to complete your semester for a grade should work with the department to ensure that your voluntary discontinuance is submitted with an effective date after the current semester.

Deactivation for Non-Enrollment

In the event you are not enrolled, on approved Leave of Absence, or voluntary discontinued by last Friday in October (for Fall) or March (for Spring) are automatically deactivated by the Registrar's Office. During this time, your KU ID is no longer active and all University services, including access to Enroll & Pay, are disabled.

If you were actively enrolled in a degree-seeking program, but your ID has been deactivated for non-enrollment, are eligible to return to active status via the Permit to Re-Enroll, provided that they return within one academic year.  Once returned to active status, all Registrar deadlines for enrollment or late enrollment, found on the KU Academic Calendar, apply.

The permit to re-enroll form is not available if you:

  • were dismissed from a program at KU;
  • were voluntarily discontinued from a graduate program;
  • are currently on University Leave of Absence;
  • completed the graduate degree program; or
  • most recently enrolled as a non-degree seeking graduate student.

To further verify whether you qualify to return based on your last date of active enrollment, contact the COGA office at coga@ku.edu.

You should note that time spent deactivated for non-enrollment does count against a student's total time to degree.  Only time away on approved Leave of Absence or after Voluntary Discontinue will "stop the clock" in regard to the time allowed to complete the degree. If you wish to leave your program are then strongly encouraged to take steps to do so officially via voluntary discontinue or petition for Leave of Absence.

Related Policies

Leave of Absence

  • If you are not absolutely sure that you want to leave your program, talk with your department about a Leave of Absence.